Candle Care & Safety
Candle Care & Safety
First time lighting your candle:
- Light your candle, no need to trim your wick.
- We recommend that your candle burn for approximately 2-4 hrs or until the wax has fully melted to the outside edge of the can, this is essential to create your candles' memory burn. If the memory burn is not achieved your candle will begin to tunnel, resulting in a very weak flame that won't stay lit.
- Before burning, you may need to pinch away excess charred wood; your wick should be about ¼ inch long. You can also use a wick trimmer, nail clippers, or your fingers usually work best, preferably not scissors. Wicks that are too long will not burn properly and can cause uneven burning or popping or black soot. If this happens, you wick is to long and should be clipped.
- Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
- Always use a heat resistant, large, sturdy surface like a table or countertop.
- Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, avoid drafts, vents or air currents; doing this will help prevent rapid or uneven burning that may produce soot.
- Follow our recommended directions of candle care and burn time of about 2-4 hours. Burning your candle for longer than the recommended time can be a fire hazard, create unnecessary soot or may overheat the wax resulting in unpleasant discolouration.
- If the metal can is hot to touch, your candle is burning too hot. Blow it out and clip the wick before re-lighting. The metal can get only slightly warm to the touch, even after burning for a couple of hours.
- Let the candle wax harden before re-lighting, wait at least 4 hours.
- When lighting your candle, use long matches or a long-reach lighter.
- Keep your hair and loose clothing away from the flame.
- Never leave a candle unattended.
- Because our candles are made with wooden wicks DOES NOT make them safer than a candle with a cotton wick. Please DO NOT use your candle for warmth or leave it burning while sleeping.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire.
- Do not pure melted wax onto skin.
- Keep burning candles away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not place lit candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anything else.
- Never touch or move a candle while it is burning or while the wax is liquefied.
- Stop burning your candle when there is 1/2 inch of wax remaining in the can. If the metal wick clip is visible, stop burning your candle.
- Never use a candle as a night light or while you may fall asleep.
- Be very careful if using candles during a power outage. Flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of light during a power failure. Never use a candle during a power outage to look for things in a closet, or when fueling equipment – such as a lantern or kerosene heater.
- Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering.
- NEVER use water to extinguish a candle. Although we pour our candles into tin cans, it’s worth noting that for glass candle vessels, water can cause the glass container to shatter from the sudden temperature change.
- Make sure the candle is completely out, and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.
- Please don’t touch or move the candle until it has thoroughly cooled.
- Clean up with warm soapy water.